Welcome to the Victoria Mac Users Group Forums.
Jump right in! Browse the topics, ask questions, make comments, share tips and tricks, or reply to existing topics.

Photos Storage

Suggest topics for future presentations at our meetings.
Forum rules
tfindlay
Site Admin

Photos Storage

Postby tfindlay » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:50 am

Hi Charles,

I am still confused about where Photos (on iMac, iPhone, and iPad) stores my photos.

There are a number of questions I would like to see addressed:
1. Is everything on our devices backed up to the iCloud?
2. If I delete something off a device (e.g. Photo, music, apps, contacts, etc.) is it deleted off iCloud?
3. If I delete/add something on one device does it delete/add to any other devices linked to the iCloud account?
4. When I view a photo from iCloud is it downloaded to the device? I'm concerned about my iPhone that has only 16 GB of storage.
5. If I use iCloud are photos ever stored on my mobile devices?

I have spoken to other members who are wondering about these questions. Would you consider doing a presentation on this at some point to clear up our confusion?
chas_m

Re: Photos Storage

Postby chas_m » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:15 am

tfindlay wrote:I am still confused about where Photos (on iMac, iPhone, and iPad) stores my photos.

All the questions you ask are entirely dependent on knowing if you're using iCloud Photo Library, so until we know that, the answer is "depends."

I have spoken to other members who are wondering about these questions. Would you consider doing a presentation on this at some point to clear up our confusion?

We'll be addressing this as part of the Photos and iPhoto discussion at the General Meeting.

Cheers
Chas
tfindlay
Site Admin

Re: Photos Storage

Postby tfindlay » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:52 pm

iCloud Photo Library is turned on for all devices.

I have a related question: Does Photo Stream do anything that iCloud syncing doesn't accomplish?

Return to “Presentation Suggestions”