Welcome to the Victoria Mac Users Group Forums.
Jump right in! Browse the topics, ask questions, make comments, share tips and tricks, or reply to existing topics.

How to subscribe to a topic

Instructions about using the forum
Forum rules
tfindlay
Site Admin

How to subscribe to a topic

Postby tfindlay » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:46 am

When you subscribe to a topic you are notified whenever anyone replies to that topic. This way you can choose which topics you wish to receive email notifications from.

To subscribe to a topic go to the topic and click the wrench icon and select "Subscribe topic" from the menu that appears.

VMUG_Member_Forums___VMUG.jpg
VMUG_Member_Forums___VMUG.jpg (48.98 KiB) Viewed 1440 times

You can unsubscribe to a topic the same way (the menu item will say "Unsubscribe topic").
DaveWT

Re: How to subscribe to a topic

Postby DaveWT » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:58 am

Terry, on the previous "test forum" that you had up for a while before moving to this software, if one posted a topic, they were automatically going to get any replies, I believe.

With this "production" version of the forum, is this still the case, or does one have to go in and actually choose to subscribe to their own new topic they just posted?

Dave
tfindlay
Site Admin

Postby tfindlay » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:57 pm

Actually on both the previous version and this one you need to opt in to be subscribed to a topic. This avoids the problem of getting messages about every topic including those you have no interesting being notified about.

To subscribe:
A. when you are composing a new topic or replying to an existing one check the box beside "Notify me when a reply is posted" located in the Options tab under the Preview and Submit buttons.
B. when reading a topic or reply select "Subscribe Topic" from the wrench icon menu above the first post or below the last post in a topic thread.
DaveWT

Postby DaveWT » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:30 pm

Terry, thanks for this explanation. I see what needs to be done now.

Dave
DaveWT

Postby DaveWT » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:32 am

One difference I have noticed between this forum and other similar forums I subscribe to:

If I choose to be notified of a new reply to a topic I am following here, I then get an email with a link to get to the new reply I will want to see.

However when I click that link I can not just read the reply without logging in to this forum. On other forums I follow, if I receive a similar email with a link to the new reply, I can just click on the link and it will give me instant read access to that reply without logging in. Then if I want to contribute further I can choose to log in at that point or just drop out without logging in and get on with whatever else I am doing.

Not sure of the merits of how this forum handles it - I think I prefer the "quick read" method for such email links.

Dave
DaveWT

Postby DaveWT » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:36 am

Rats! Scrap that previous post.

I just found out that I was clicking on the wrong link in the email I received saying there was a reply to the topic I was following. "Too quick to click". The second link does exactly what I would want. (And other choices offered too.)

Dave

Return to “How to use the forum”