Welcome to the Victoria Mac Users Group Forums.
Jump right in! Browse the topics, ask questions, make comments, share tips and tricks, or reply to existing topics.

Disable iMessage signin window

Mac desktop computers, OS X, Mac software
Forum rules
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Bruce Whittington
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Disable iMessage signin window

Postby Bruce Whittington » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:44 am

Since I did the most recent High Sierra upgrade I have been seeing the following signin window when I start the computer:

Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 7.30.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 7.30.23 AM.png (51.99 KiB) Viewed 1688 times

I did not accept the invitation to sign in to iMessage when I installed the update, and I cannot find any indication that I have an iMessage account on my computer (to change settings), and I do not want an iMessage account, or to set one up so that I can shut it down (if that is even possible). How can I get rid of this irritant?
chas_m

Re: Disable iMessage signin window

Postby chas_m » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:44 pm

You must have Messages set to start up when you log in to your computer. You can "fix" this by right-clicking on the Messages icon in the dock, and selecting "Options" and then selecting (if checked) "Open at Login."

If that doesn't work, check your system preferences -> Users & Groups -> (your account) -> Login Items.
Bruce Whittington

Postby Bruce Whittington » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:10 am

Charles, thanks for your reply. I did try those suggestions previously, but iMessage is not in the Dock, and neither does it appear in the startup items list where you suggested looking in System Preferences, so there was nothing that I could see to uncheck or turn off. I opened the Messages app from the Finder to check preferences there, without signing in. It says "iMessage setup is not complete" but allows me to continue into a message window, but I can see options to stop the signin window from appearing.
chas_m

Postby chas_m » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:38 pm

Put Messages (the name of the app; iMessages are the blue Apple-hosted messages it sends to people) in the Dock and then try the right-click trick I mentioned earlier. If there is a checkmark next to "open at login," select that to "uncheck" it, and then you can remove the program from the Dock if you like.
Bruce Whittington

Postby Bruce Whittington » Fri May 04, 2018 9:43 pm

I tried those suggestions. Messages was not in the dock, and when opened, the "keep in dock" and "open at login" buttons were unchecked. So I checked them both, then unchecked them, and closed the app and restarted the iMac - no change. I also wondered if I could just ignore it, and opened Mail after I started the computer, but this message then appears over top of the Mail window, so it is impossible to ignore. I may try paying to speak to someone at Apple.
chas_m

Postby chas_m » Mon May 07, 2018 6:42 am

Return to “Mac OS X”