Welcome to the Victoria Mac Users Group Forums.
Jump right in! Browse the topics, ask questions, make comments, share tips and tricks, or reply to existing topics.

RAM upgrade

Mac desktop computers, OS X, Mac software
Forum rules
DaveS

RAM upgrade

Postby DaveS » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:46 pm

I have a MacBookPro with has 8 GB of RAM. It's a non-retina model, so is supposedly capable of having more RAM. My question is whether it will make any difference. It seems very sluggish recently. Sometimes Mail messages take 10 sec or more to open (or don't at all) and text messages are also slow to respond. The hard drive is less than half full. Since it's pretty old (though I got it new in 2015--old stock) I don't want to put a lot of money into it. I expect a SSD would make it faster, but that's $$, too.

Comments?

Dave
MacBook Pro (13 inch mid 2012)
OS 10.14.2

iPhone5S
iOS 12.1.2
TimRichards

Re: RAM upgrade

Postby TimRichards » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:05 pm

I got a mid-2015 MBP in 2016 (because i didn't want to loose the SD slot etc. of the 'new' one at the time). I do have a SSD and 16 GB of Ram, but I must say the performance is just fine. In my experience a notable slowdown is sometime related to a software upgrade.
chas_m

Postby chas_m » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:48 pm

8GB of RAM should not cause the issues you are describing unless:

A. You’re keeping a ton of stuff on your desktop, or
B. You have a lot of programs open (or a browser with a lot of tabs open) that haven’t actually been “quit.”

To me, it sounds like that hard drive is getting old and may be in danger of failing. Make sure you’re back ups are up-to-date, and if that hard drive is the same one that originally came with that machine — I’d strongly recommend replacing it.
DaveS

Postby DaveS » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:21 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to do some clean-up.

Dave
MacBook Pro (13 inch mid 2012)
OS 10.14.2

iPhone5S
iOS 12.1.2

Return to “Mac OS X”